Monday, October 22, 2007

Crazy Japanese People.. or Crazy me...

I don't know who is insane here - but one of us is definitely a little nuts. Either I am weird thinking that everyone around me is weird, or everyone else around me is weird.

Just now, one of the teachers came running through the teachers room, closed the door to the principals room and made a very quick whispering phone call to someone else.. NOW, all of the teachers are coming back into the room, and they're all whispering and laughing - joke of the century apparently! No idea what it is...

... the other week I was told that all lessons were cancelled for the day and the students would be making fires outside to cook lunch on - that would be all that would be happening that day. I was perplexed why it would take so long, or why they were doing it in the first place until they started. None of the students knew how to make a fire let alone cook on it - it was nuts! Some students were trying to make fires out of paper, others dropped their food into the fires, others decided to try and make different little fires to cook different pots of things on and were perplexed when the fires kept going out after all of the wood had burned. I couldn't believe it. These 12 to 14 year olds didn't know how to build and sustain a fire! They all were reasonable good cooks, but did not know how to cook outside! coming from the land of campfires, damper making and 'going bush', I was opening cans of food with knives for kids that didn't know how, introducing wood to the paper fires and larger areas for baby fires to be built up on.. these kids thought I was amazingly skilled when I was showing them things that I had learnt in Girl Guides (or before) just mucking about.... Afterwards, the kids came up and gave their samples of goodness that they had managed to actually cook or prepare and gave it to their favourite teacher (or actually most of it went to one teacher that seemed to be the most 'respected' or 'feared' in the school)....

... We went on a trip last week to Fukushima City for the finals of the English Speech Contest that one of my students managed to get into. On the way there, it was an unwritten rule that no-one speak in the car. I didn't know this and broke the rule several times before I realised. Then, it became apparent that we had a time limit to get there and no way were we to waste any time on the way - that resulted in some pretty scary and intense driving along the windiest road in all of Fukushima District. I requested to go to the toilet if at all possible, this was met with "It is a while longer" "oh, could we stop soon at one of the conbini's?" "ahh.. It is a while longer" "ohh..." then, my student started to feel a little sick, then a lot sick, then very sick. It wasn't until she actually vomited in a plastic bag when our driver decided that we would take a very short stop at a conbini (convenience store)...

If think that these people are crazy... but it might be that I am slowly going insane and 'normal' things seem to be quite strange to me now...

No comments: