Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Train Staring

I'm sitting on the train with quite a few Japanese surrounding me.
I can see the reflection of my face in the window opposite me.
But my eyes are too dark to see.

Everyone else is trying not to look at me.
They completely avoid me at all costs -
no eye contact -
won't sit beside me -
walk the furtherest they can around me.
but every time I look their way, our eyes happen to meet.
They happen to be looking at me exactly when I look at them - funny that.
Quick glances away to avoid embarrassment.

My reflection however, looks straight back at me.
She holds my gaze for as long as I do.
A relief in this watching but not looking world.

Missy Elliot blasting through my ear phones and staring at myself in the glass.
To avoid the non-stares.

Lucky the trains are fast.

No comments: