Sunday, November 4, 2007

Hikin ' in Namie



Ever been hikin'? my bet is if you're from Aotearoa, you would've done a few good walks - if not for your own enjoyment, because you were forced by friends, family or school trips... WELL! Have you ever been hikin' with BEARS!!??? muahaha!!

I went with a group of mates up Mount Hi (or at least that's what the map called it - great name aye). It's a baby compared to others, but it was perfect for us. Here's an exaggerated story of what happened - in true Antonievich Style.

HIKE
I jumped on the bike at about quarter to 10, for ma 10 o'clock train, wearing thermal leggings to try and keep my shins from exploding in pain and and a pack with a load of Mandarins and water. Pedaled like a bat outta hell to the station, jumped on and proceeded to French plait my hair. Nope. The leggings weren't enough attention, I needed to make sure that EVERY Japanese person was staring at me! I even managed to get an applause when I finished the second plait. Excellent. Des jumps on, with a pack herself - talking about grabbing Cheese and Bread for lunch.

We were intending on hikin' today up Mount Hi in Namie.

Jumped off at Namie and met up with Skye in her ever so chiq outfit - looking cool even in hiking gear! Bex comes whizzin' round the corner in her Blue beast and we're a off! Mount Hi watch out!

After a stop at these gardens on the way, cracking up at the pissing statue, critically analysing the molded plants, taking timed pictures and admiring the beautiful "Autumn Foliage", we crossed the road, said "hey, wha's up" to the locals and some of Bex's students and were back in the cars! Des had her Cheese and Bread, and I was AMPING to get on the track!

Now, when I say track, one must be aware of cultural differences to the meaning of that word. Upon finding the carpark for the first track we were to do, we couldn't quite find the actual track but for the forest, bush and weeds. Thinking better of risking it, we back "tracked" (haha, I'm so funny - I used 'track') to another path we could walk.

This one proved to be a mission to find, but with the help of some nearby farmers, we found the entrance; what we could only assume to be the carpark, and a more substantial path - at least for the first 500 metres of so... Once in the damn forest, Japanese don't seem to feel they require a path, excellent for appearances, not so, for guidance. No. we didn't get lost. BUT STILL!!!

Along the way, we saw signs that looked like quite friendly bears I thought. But I was quickly reassured that they were not and we needed to watch out for the blighters. Again, excellent.

...I was already stomping quite hard in case any snakes (who are officially the scariest things ever) thought they'd like to take a little swipe, and waving my hands to dislodge any spider thread that might be in front of my face (because if the thread happens to be lodged in a world-renowned-ginormous-spider-officially-the-second-most-scariest-thing-ever, I might die of a heart attack). Now, Des informs me on the rules about bears.
  • Make a lot of noise - scare them away before they attack
  • If you happen to see one, make yourself big - they are scared of bigger things
  • If they do attack, roll yourself up in a ball - they'll play basketball with you for a bit then just leave you alone.
Oh right, well then. What the heck am I worried about?! Piece of piss. I'm now not only stomping and swinging my arms, but also TALKING REALLY LOUD TO PEOPLE THAT ARE REALLY CLOSE TO ME SO THAT IT SCARES THE BEARS AWAY - because I'm now convinced this forest must be FILL of them, and prepared to whip my jumper off and shake it in one hand and my bag in the other to look like a great big person.

I can just imagine a bear coming upon my stomping, arm swinging self...

"Oh, 'ello there, I live in 'ere. Nice day aye, wha' ya up to?"
(bear has an English Accent for some reason, even though I'm in Japan)

"Oh fuck a bear!"
(Struggling with taking my jumper off quickly while forgetting to take my pack off first, jumping up and down, because my jumper is now blinding me and I'm sure a snake, spider or bear is going to attack any second)

"O, wa' ever, a'ight. juss sayin' 'ello"
(Bear walks off in a huff convinced that all Gaijin are nuts)

ahahahaha!! I'm cracking up at the thought of it!!

SO! we're on this hike right....

...I'm a little.. well... jumpy... and we're walking through a snake, spider and bear infested Forest. I'm at the front... and all of a sudden... I hear... this noise....

Hrrrrrr..........hrrrrrrrrrr.........hrrrrrrrrrr.......


I pause, turning to gesture for the others to be quiet.

Kiwi Voice - Tara: "Do... do... do you guys hear that?"
American voice - Des immediately responds: "oh what ever Tara!"
Kiwi Voice - Tara: "There! Do you hear it?"
American Voice - Des: "No! Don't be stupid"
Britsh Voice - Bex: "Hahaha..."
Aussie Voice - Skye: "I just heard it too..."
British Voice - Bex: "Are you serious?"
Aussie Voice - Skye: "Definitely"
Kiwi Voice - Tara: "Oh crap, lets get out of here - go back down!"
American Voice - Des: "No way! Come on, if it's actually anything, we shouldn't be standing where we can hear it"
Kiwi Voice - Tara: "Right"

And with that, I proceed to run back, down and off that damn infested scary mountain, and then realise that Des, Bex and Skye are running UP! CRAP!! with a quick double turn and a little piss in my pants, I sprint up to the back of the line and almost take out Skye to get infront of her!

10 minutes later...

...We're still alive. phew! haha.

The rest of the hike was pretty hard but heaps of fun and relatively uneventful. The view was amazing and the walk back down was fun and completely bear-free.

Note to future hikers: be aware, not fearful.



No comments: