Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Catch the "Tara's Life" Show

Previously on "Tara's Life"...

I came from a place where it was important to really love your job.

I came from a place where I learnt that I could do anything I wanted to do as a job and do it well; where I could choose the direction of my career path as my passions grew within me. That's how I love to work and because of that, I thrive and enjoy every minute of my work and life.

I've had jobs in the past that haven't been very rewarding, working at the dairy was quite a pain in the neck, and although the bakery was more fun, it was still relatively basic and similar menial tasks. I've had jobs that I have only done for the money - to get through university or save up enough money to buy a car, clothes, presents or food. But I have never disliked working in those jobs.

Since I decided to lead my career path into working with youth and their struggles, I have adored the challenges and passion that lie along that path. I thrive on giving opportunities to the kids and their families and helping them learn as they grow into young people with perspective as opposed to juveniles with doubt.

On "Tara's Life" Today...

But now, I find myself in a routine of work that I have not experienced. I have always heard from friends and sometimes family how they dislike going to/ being at/ doing/ thinking of their work. But I have never thought about it much. I never thought that people actually DISLIKED their work, otherwise why would they continue to do it?

At the moment, I'm working in a position that I have so far only felt as fulfilling a tokenistic role. It's only been two weeks of working in the normal schooling system; so I hope that it will be changing - but my first impressions of systems, procedures and roles aren't normally wrong.

When deciding to come to Japan; I was nervous about leaving my amazing network of friends, family and work colleagues, I didn't know if I wanted to leave behind all that was going on in Aotearoa in exchange for an adventure overseas. But I held onto the belief that I would be entering into a new system of working with children in schools - working within a team of teachers and other school personalities that would be encouraging and supportive of me learning my role and contributing to the childrens lives. This hasn't exactly happened - and I refuse to think that it is cultural.

Japanese may be strong on their cultural norms, they may be rigid in their roles, norms, systems and procedures; but I do not beleive that this would hinder team work or the development of roles within teams. In fact, I would think that it would be the opposite! The Japanese 'way' would encourage people to develop their niche within a group and learn their role.

Therefore, I'm left with the thought of my struggle being with the culture of this particular school - my workplace - and what role expectations they have of the ALT that graces their presence.

I don't prepare classes. I hardly even know what the Japanese Teacher is going to do when we enter a classroom. I read out-loud words they are rope-learning and stories they are memorising. I hand out stickers to the ones that spell words right and call out words for Bingo.

I say "Hello" to students in the corridors and help others that want to say more. I put up interesting themes on the English Board for the children to read and learn from, and I write small words of encouragement on the childrens sheets when they are handed to me.

But I don't seem to be a part of this group of people - and I'm not really. I am here for one year, I am the "walking tape recorder". The role that they seem to have assigned to me, is not me at all. I feel like they are obliged to allow me to be here, and reluctantly accept me into their system - creating a space for me that does not impinge on anything the school already has systems developed for. Hence, leaving me somewhat role-less, or at the most, with a very small role, of "tape player".

This conflicts with me, because I do not just partake. I never have. I contribute to development. I create. I mould. I'm a part of everything I do, and in the past, I'm used to being a relatively large part - co-leader, leader, co-facilitator, one of four, one of seven, organiser... So now, I don't really know what to do. Where does this leave me?

My saving grace is that I venture to another school in the afternoons where I do one lesson every day. These teachers are lovely and try very hard to give me independence to teach English to their students with their support. I'm living for the afternoons. But I don't want to be unhappy about my mornings every weekday for a whole year.
I hope this show has a twist soon; because if it doesn't, it will sure as heck be a bit of a boring series...

No comments: