Monday, September 24, 2007

Monkey Dancing

Ever heard the quote "dance monkey dance!" ? come on. you know it. when someone is taking the miki out of someone. When a person is forced to behave in a certain manner to appease others entertainment needs. Well, luckily enough for me, a part of my role here in Japan is too perform monkey dancing - fun fun.

Got a message from my supervisor on Friday
"Hello Tara,
There is the meeting of the member of the Board of Education next Monday. (another formation). The superintendent of education seems to want to introduce Tara to the person of the committee. Please Self Introduction?
Ok?"

He actually meant this Tuesday - as in today - and called me this morning to organise picking me up. We went to the Board of Education Office in Tomioka Community Centre and I entered a room fill of seemingly important people all sitting around discussing what appeared to be important 'Board of Education type discussions'. I was asked to stand in the middle of the room and then my supervisor nodded at me to start my 'Self Introduction'.

Now, my 'Self Introduction' wasn't actually written by me and is a little bit contradicting - it doesn't introduce me at all - it's about appeasing the formalities of me being the 'polite Aucklander' proving all of Auckland is dedicated to learning more about Japan and Tomioka. It goes like this:

Hajimemashite
(How do you do)
Watashi no namae wa Tara desu
(my name is Tara)
Watashi wa nujiirando no Okurando kara ikimashita
(I came from New Zealand, Auckland)
Watashi wa nujiirando do Community Worker o shite imashita
(I was a community worker in New Zealand)
Nihon nu ikitaito Zuto o mote imashita
(Something like: I wanted to come to Japan)
Watashi wa nihon no bunka ya Nihon no kodomotachi ni benkyoo oshieru koto ni kyomiga arimasu
(Something like: I want to study Japanese culture and working with children)
Koregara Nihon go taksan benkyoo shite ikitai desu
(Something like: I will be studying)
Ishyo ken mei gan bari masu
(I will try my best)
Doozo Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu
(Thank you, and please do well by me)

So, I say my little 'Self Introduction', and the important people all laugh and clap their hands, I shake all of their hands and then they say 'thank you' and lead me out. I was the entertainment of the meeting to break the formalities - they wanted to take pictures of me, but no one had brought a camera.

This is what I signed up for?

No comments: